How and When to Replace Electric Forklift Batteries
Electric forklifts are most commonly used indoors in warehouses. Unlike internal combustion forklifts, electric-forklifts are quiet and generally non-polluting but present other serious hazards that must be addressed. These batteries produce zero emissions, virtually eliminate the hazard of carbon mono-oxide poisoning, and more quietly than internal combustion forklift.
To keep forklift battery running effortlessly- and to extend its life. It is advisable to seek for electric forklift repair near me services. Typically electric forklift battery takes eight hours to charge and take additional 8 hours to cool down before use. Physical signs such as corrosion on the battery case, a rotten egg smell are clear indicators your forklift battery is on its last leg. A forklift that is difficult to handle may be caused by poor response time and a weak battery.
A forklift battery is designed to last an eight-hour shift on a full charge, but this can vary based on the age of the battery and how hard the equipment is working. A truck that doesn’t travel much doing minimal lifts might get twelve hours off a charge. Conversely, an older truck doing heavy lifts might last only three hours. The lifetime of an average forklift battery is five years or 1,500 cycles. The five- year average assumes the battery is charged once per day 300 cycles with infrequent fast charging and deep-discharging.
Forklift battery is tempting to charge a battery whenever is convenient, but the fact is that order to properly maintain a forklift battery, it should only be charged at certain times and to certain degrees. Charge a forklift’s battery only when it dips to 30% below. Over undercharging this type of battery can significantly decrease the lifespan.
Procedure to replace the charger:
An electric forklift is designed to operate for one shift and then be charged on the next shift or overnight. Some employers routinely change batteries instead of charging them in a vehicle. The discharged battery is removed from the forklift and a charged battery is installed in its place.
Only trained professional can replace or changed the battery. So, if you are looking for the renowned forklift batteries repair Brampton, you have come to the right place. We offer you high-quality of charger repair and maintenance services at the best market rates.
Here are a few tips to follow when charging your forklift’s battery:
- Forklifts should be in a stationary position with the handbrake on and engine off before attempting to charge the battery.
- Battery charging installation should occur in designated areas.
- In order to keep this safe, facilities should be provided for; flushing, and neutralising spilled electrolyte, fire protection, the protection of charging equipment and adequate ventilation for dispersal of fumes from gassing batteries.
- Precautions must be taken to prevent open flames, sparks or electric arcs in battery charging areas.
- Tools and metallic objects must never be left on top uncovered batteries.
- While charging a battery keep on eye at the sensors to check the battery level.